Experts share top 10 tips for charities on social media
A panel of social media experts recently got together for the Guardian Voluntary Sector Network’s live Q&A, to explore how charities can maximise their social media impact and guarantee success.
Here are their top ten tips for charities using social media:
- Social media should be part of your organisation’s culture. Allow multiple people to post on social media and use a content calendar to stay on top of plans.
- Engage supporters on social media and promote discussion.
- There’s no secret formula. Adapt to change and don’t spread yourself too thinly across multiple social media sites.
- Don’t just focus on Gen Y. Over 55’s are increasingly using social media and they tend to be the ones to donate.
- Keep posts light and talk about things other than your charity’s mission.
- Keep an eye out for internet trends you can jump on board with.
- Schedule tweets and Facebook posts for times you aren’t available.
- Don’t delete trolls. Respond to them, and try to change their minds.
- Test different types of content on your audience and see what works.
- Embrace analytic tools to see what kind of posts do well.
Click here to read more about what the experts had to say.