The Charity Commission performed a hasty backtrack last week, retracting a news story announcing it will no longer display documents received by post and email on the online register of charities just an hour after it was published.
The organisation had published a notice on its website on Thursday morning (18 August) outlining plans that would mean, by 2017, it would only display documents received digitally on the charities register. The announcement was also Tweeted and an email sent.
However, a spokesperson from the Charity Commission said the news story was published in error, the statement does not reflect the Commission’s position and an update will be published within the next few days.
“We have been communicating our increasingly digital approach to charities and the wider public in line with our strategic plan,” the statement added. “This allows us to be more responsive, more accessible and provides a better, faster service for charities. Whilst we are exploring ways in which we can encourage more charities to file their accounts digitally, the piece today was published in error and is incorrect.
“We will continue to communicate with charities about any changes and their differing needs. We will shortly be publishing a survey to seek feedback from the public and charities on our digital strategy.”
The move would have meant, for charities submitting paper documents, document requests received from the public would have to be fulfilled by charities themselves, rather than being downloaded from the register of charities.
Comic Relief has rolled out a ‘Tech vs Abuse’ funding initiative to drive technological innovation and creative digital solutions
Award-winning Irish tech start-up is expanding in the UK via a trial with Waitrose
App offers a new level of transparency about the charity's work
Statement says Commission will embrace digital communication